Friday, July 1, 2016

Glitter and Feathers and Gems - Oh My! Mixed Media Card Challenge

We are getting alllllll sorts of sparkly up at The Mixed Media Card Challenge this month and boy do I every have some sparkly goodness to flash your way!



You may have already guessed that our theme for the month is Sparkle along with the option of including Gems.

I was in the mood to make some mixed media backgrounds earlier this week and this card showcases a quick and easy, but classy and fab-o mixed media background that anyone can achieve. 

stenciling_relief_on_stamped_card


I started by sponging Fired Brick Distress Inks onto a piece of cardstock, putting a heavier coat on around the edges to create a little vignette action. 

Once I was satisfied with my sponging, I used a Polka Dot stencil and a wet paper towel and lifted some of the ink off the paper to create layers of visual interest. 

Then I stamped another circular-shaped grungy stamp randomly across the background. 

mixed_media_card_and_scrapbook_backgrounds


Lastly, I added some gold texture paste over through a smaller polka dot stencil and then let it air dry. 

These are some examples using the exact same techniques but it different colors and stencil variations. 


When creating a cohesive mixed media design, I really like to use one shape (in this case a circle) repetitively throughout the design in various shapes and sizes. 

mixed_media_card_with_glitter

Since I used polka dotted stencils and circular stamps, I carried the circle shapes into the foreground by dry embossing part of my sentiment panel with a polka dotted embossing folder and then gluing glitter on the raised areas. 


Since the theme was sparkle, I added glitter to some gold feathers, and then added gold gemstones, too. I put some burgundy raffia behind my feathers to give some contrast to the design. So pretty! 

I'm going to send my sparkly beauty over to play along in the following challenges:
Craft Stamper - Take It Make It - Take a Stamp
Just Add Ink - Just Add S (for Sparkle, Sponging, Stamping)
Creative Artiste Challenge - Anything Mixed Media Goes

34 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, Becca! Total coolness! The glitter dipped feathers take my breath away and what a great backdrop you've created! Tres chic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is absolutely stunning and a real show stopper...fabulous detail, colours, techniques and layout....Thank you for sharing and for the inspiration, one talented lady x

    ReplyDelete
  3. GLAMOROUS !! The mixed media backgrounds are awesome and I am in love with the feathers:

    ReplyDelete
  4. GLAMOROUS !! The mixed media backgrounds are awesome and I am in love with the feathers:

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very glamourous Becca, gold and red is a luscious combination. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can I just say, WOW! You have, most definitely, captured the essence on the inspiration piece. Your card is simply stunning...reminds me a dress my Mom had at one time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is quite inventive. I never thought of gold on feathers but it really turned out well. Very rich looking

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow!! Realy so sparkling and vibrant mixed media card!! Love the gold on the fired brick, has a great look!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a fabulous card Becca. Love the tutorial too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a stunner! Great card, I love all the different elements, Jo x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh WOW! I LOVE the sparkle and shine of that gold texture paste. I am going to have to pick this up. The colors you used are spectacular too. Thanks for that fabulous photo tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AMAZING! You have excelled with this beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. YUM! Looooove that gold sparkle:) And I can't believe how DIFFERENT your bgs all turned out even with the same techniques. it's the reason I do so love this crafty hobby I think. Never a chance to be bored! Hope you're enjoying playing in your new room, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome! I love the gold embossing paste and wonderful feathers. So very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This card is a Sparkling beauty in Red!!!! :D How elegant is the glitter over feathers, and that background, and the red+gold?!?! Just Wowwww! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful card! I love all the sparkly bling of the card. Love the pictures of how you did the background. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. WOW it looks truly amazing...rich and glamorous
    Cheers
    Dr Sonia

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is beautiful, love the feathers xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. What an amazingly gorgeous card Becca!

    ReplyDelete
  20. A sparkling beauty, that's what this card is! Swoon!

    ReplyDelete
  21. love your card, fantastic dimension
    thanks for joining our challenge over at
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.com.au/
    Debbie DT

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a wonderful mixed media card Becca. I love the sparkle all the different gold elements added. Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is gorgeous Becca! The depth of colour and texture you've added is stunning! I love your different backgrounds and the added gold and sparkly gems you've added. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week :-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Fabulous BG as always and I love the shimmer on feathers :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, how wonderfully sparkly and so beautiful, Becca!!!!! Thanks for showing how you did it!!!! Really love your fabulous bgs!!!! The feathers with the gold is stunning!!!! Wonderfully done!!!
    Hugz

    ReplyDelete
  26. Absolutely gorgeous, Becca! Especially those sparkly feathers! Love this card!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Gorgeous card, Becca! Loving all the sparkle and all the texture and elements. Thanks for playing along this week at Just Add Ink. Rochelle xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. Seriously, Becca, no one does mixed media more fab-o than you! Rich colours, gorgeous glimmer, spendiforous shimmer! You definitely had fun creating this...dazzling delight!
    Hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love the drama and opulence of this card! The dipped feathers are fabulous. Thanks for playing along at Craft Stamper Take It, Make It :)

    ReplyDelete
  30. Fabulous card... Thank you so much for entering our challenge over at Creative Artiste Mixed Media Challenge Blog, we hope to see you join in again...

    Hugs Rhonda DT & Owner
    http://creativeartistemixedmedia.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  31. LOVE your project for the Craft Stamper this month
    xxx Ellie Knol xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is beautiful thanks do much for joining the Craft stamper challenge good luck xx

    ReplyDelete